Infant Crawls Into Plastic Bag And Suffocates To Death

A Texas family is devastated after a three-month-old boy crawled into a plastic shopping bag and suffocated to death. Police say the child was being watched by his grandmother because his mother was working a night shift at a local restaurant on Christmas Eve.

The grandmother fell asleep around midnight while the child was in the living room. She told police they would leave the boy in the living room because the hardwood floors made it hard for him to get around.

At some point during the night, one of the other four children moved the boy to another room and placed him on a mattress on the floor. The boy started to crawl around on the bed and managed to roll off and got stuck inside of a plastic shopping bag.

"At some point, it appears the child may have moved some, landed on the floor somehow, and found itself inside a shopping bag. The assumption right now is that the child possibly suffocated," Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said. "A very sad situation out here, the mother's very distraught. We saw her coming from work wearing a red Christmas hat, home to receive this kind of news."

Officials have not ruled out whether anybody will faces charges over the death of the young boy and are continuing their investigation.

"We conduct a very thorough investigation any time anyone is found deceased but especially a small child,” Gonzalez said. “It’s our job to seek the truth, and we’ll see where the evidence leads us.”